Massively Parallel Sequencing of Human Urinary Exosome/Microvesicle RNA Reveals a Predominance of Non-Coding RNA
Miranda, Kevin C.
Bond, Daniel T.
Russo, Leileata M.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMiranda, Kevin C., Daniel T. Bond, Joshua Z. Levin, Xian Adiconis, Andrey Sivachenko, Carsten Russ, Dennis Brown, Chad Nusbaum, and Leileata M. Russo. 2014. “Massively Parallel Sequencing of Human Urinary Exosome/Microvesicle RNA Reveals a Predominance of Non-Coding RNA.” PLoS ONE 9 (5): e96094. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0096094. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096094.
AbstractIntact RNA from exosomes/microvesicles (collectively referred to as microvesicles) has sparked much interest as potential biomarkers for the non-invasive analysis of disease. Here we use the Illumina Genome Analyzer to determine the comprehensive array of nucleic acid reads present in urinary microvesicles. Extraneous nucleic acids were digested using RNase and DNase treatment and the microvesicle inner nucleic acid cargo was analyzed with and without DNase digestion to examine both DNA and RNA sequences contained in microvesicles. Results revealed that a substantial proportion (∼87%) of reads aligned to ribosomal RNA. Of the non-ribosomal RNA sequences, ∼60% aligned to non-coding RNA and repeat sequences including LINE, SINE, satellite repeats, and RNA repeats (tRNA, snRNA, scRNA and srpRNA). The remaining ∼40% of non-ribosomal RNA reads aligned to protein coding genes and splice sites encompassing approximately 13,500 of the known 21,892 protein coding genes of the human genome. Analysis of protein coding genes specific to the renal and genitourinary tract revealed that complete segments of the renal nephron and collecting duct as well as genes indicative of the bladder and prostate could be identified. This study reveals that the entire genitourinary system may be mapped using microvesicle transcript analysis and that the majority of non-ribosomal RNA sequences contained in microvesicles is potentially functional non-coding RNA, which play an emerging role in cell regulation.
Citable link to this pagehttp://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.InstRepos:12406930
- HMS Scholarly Articles 
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
53BP1 Protects against CtIP-Dependent Capture of Ectopic Chromosomal Sequences at the Junction of Distant Double-Strand Breaks Guirouilh-Barbat, Josée; Gelot, Camille; Xie, Anyong; Dardillac, Elodie; Scully, Ralph; Lopez, Bernard S. (Public Library of Science, 2016)DNA double-strand breaks (DSB) are very harmful lesions that can generate genome rearrangements. In this study, we used intrachromosomal reporters to compare both the efficiency and accuracy of end-joining occurring with ...
A Novel High-Throughput 3D Screening System for EMT Inhibitors: A Pilot Screening Discovered the EMT Inhibitory Activity of CDK2 Inhibitor SU9516 Arai, Kazuya; Eguchi, Takanori; Rahman, M. Mamunur; Sakamoto, Ruriko; Masuda, Norio; Nakatsura, Tetsuya; Calderwood, Stuart K.; Kozaki, Ken-ichi; Itoh, Manabu (Public Library of Science, 2016)Epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) is a crucial pathological event in cancer, particularly in tumor cell budding and metastasis. Therefore, control of EMT can represent a novel therapeutic strategy in cancer. Here, ...
A Molecular Approach to the Sexing of the Triple Burial at the Upper Paleolithic Site of Dolní Věstonice Mittnik, Alissa; Wang, Chuan-Chao; Svoboda, Jiří; Krause, Johannes (Public Library of Science, 2016)In the past decades ancient DNA research has brought numerous insights to archaeological research where traditional approaches were limited. The determination of sex in human skeletal remains is often challenging for ...