Seroprevalence and clinical characteristics of viral hepatitis in transfusion-dependent thalassemia and hemophilia patients

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Seroprevalence and clinical characteristics of viral hepatitis in transfusion-dependent thalassemia and hemophilia patients

Citable link to this page

 

 
Title: Seroprevalence and clinical characteristics of viral hepatitis in transfusion-dependent thalassemia and hemophilia patients
Author: Jang, Tyng-Yuan; Lin, Pei-Chin; Huang, Ching-I; Liao, Yu-Mei; Yeh, Ming-Lun; Zeng, Yu-Sheng; Liang, Po-Cheng; Hsu, Wan-Yi; Tsai, Shih-Pien; Lin, Zu-Yau; Chen, Shinn-Cherng; Huang, Jee-Fu; Dai, Chia-Yen; Huang, Chung-Feng; Chiou, Shyh-Shin; Chuang, Wan-Long; Yu, Ming-Lung

Note: Order does not necessarily reflect citation order of authors.

Citation: Jang, T., P. Lin, C. Huang, Y. Liao, M. Yeh, Y. Zeng, P. Liang, et al. 2017. “Seroprevalence and clinical characteristics of viral hepatitis in transfusion-dependent thalassemia and hemophilia patients.” PLoS ONE 12 (6): e0178883. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0178883. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178883.
Full Text & Related Files:
Abstract: Background/Aims Transfusion dependent subjects are at a great risk of viral hepatitis infection. We aimed to evaluate the prevalence and factors associated with hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection among transfusion-dependent patients in Taiwan. Methods: A total of 140 patients (67 thalassemic patients, 70 hemophilic patients, two patients with hereditary spherocytosis and one patient with von Willebrand disease) were prospectively enrolled to evaluate the prevalence and factors associated with viral hepatitis and spontaneous HCV clearance. All patients were tested for HBV and HCV serology and virology. Two consecutive serum samples, at least 1 year apart, were collected to clarify HCV seroclearance. Results: The seropositivity rate of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg), HCV antibody (anti-HCV), and both HBsAg/anti-HCV were 6.4%, 45.7% and 5%, respectively. Logistic regression analysis of factors associated with anti-HCV seropositivity included age (odds ratio/95% confidence interval [OR/CI]: 1.12/1.07–1.18, P<0.001), serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (OR/CI: 1.04/1.02–1.06, P<0.001) and platelet counts (OR/CI: 0.995/0.991–0.998, P = 0.002). Age was the only factor independently associated with HBsAg seropositivity (OR/CI: 1.08/1.02–1.14.4, P = 0.007). Compared to patients born before 1992, the seroprevalence of HCV among thalassemic patients decreased dramatically in those born after 1992 (46.0% vs. 11.8%, p = 0.012). The seroprevalence of HCV among hemophilic patients also decreased significantly when comparing patients born before 1987 to those born after 1987 (79.5% vs. 11.5%, p<0.001). Similarly, the seroprevalence of HBV decreased significantly in the post-vaccination cohort compared to its counterpart (13.1%, vs. 1.3%, p = 0.005). The spontaneous clearance of HCV was observed in 25.4% (15/59) of patients, and ALT was the only factor associated with it (OR/CI 0.98/0.96–1.00, P = 0.02). Conclusions: Both HBV and HCV infections are prevalent among transfusion-dependent thalassemic and hemophilic patients in Taiwan. Nevertheless, seroprevalence decreased significantly and dramatically for HCV after universal blood screening and for HBV after implementation of a universal mass vaccination program.
Published Version: doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0178883
Other Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466320/pdf/
Terms of Use: This article is made available under the terms and conditions applicable to Other Posted Material, as set forth at http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.InstRepos:dash.current.terms-of-use#LAA
Citable link to this page: http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.InstRepos:33490786
Downloads of this work:

Show full Dublin Core record

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

 
 

Search DASH


Advanced Search
 
 

Submitters