3. Open Access Policy Articles. Some of the Posted Material consists of scholarly articles deposited under a Harvard Open Access Policy (the "Open Access Policy Articles" or "OAP Articles"). Subject to the other provisions of these Terms and Conditions, you may use, reproduce, distribute, and display the OAP Articles for:
a. personal study;
b. teaching (including distribution of copies to students and use in coursepacks and courseware programs);
c. research and scholarship (including computational research uses such as data-mining and text-mining); and
d. provision of value-added services (including full-text searching, cross-referencing, and citation extraction);
provided in each case that:
e. you will not sell or charge for any OAP Article (whether or not any profit is involved) and will not sell advertising on the same page as any OAP Article;
g. if you make an OAP Article available on-line, you will use reasonable efforts both to cite to the publisher's definitive version of the article if it has been published, and to provide a link to the publisher's version if it is available on-line;
h. you may not use a facsimile of the published version of an article under these open access terms, unless the publisher so permits and that version has been made available as an OAP Article on the Site;
4. Pass Through Licensed Materials. "Pass Through Licensed Materials" refers to materials that are not OAP or IOAL Articles. Pass Through Licensed Materials are made available on the Site at the direction of authors who have made licensing determinations before deposit to the DASH repository (for example, a Creative Commons license). These materials are labeled as "Pass Through Licensed Materials" and are made available under the creator-provided license. Users contemplating some use of the Pass Through Licensed Materials should refer to any terms or licenses attached to the work that may grant usage rights.
5. Other Posted Material. Other Posted Material. "Other Posted Material" refers to all material that are not OAP or IOAP Articles, and may include, but are not limited to, material that is not eligible for copyright protection. Other Posted Material is made available on the Site at the direction of authors according to their understanding of their rights in that material. Users contemplating some use of the Other Posted Material should refer to any terms or licenses attached to the work that may grant usage rights.
7. Other Content. Content on the Site other than Posted Material is made available only for your personal, noncommercial use. You may not retransmit, publish, distribute, display or otherwise make available any such Content to others, except as we may otherwise expressly allow, and except for the notices and other information accompanying Posted Material, which you may make available when you have the right to make the related Posted Material available.
9. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE SITE AND THE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, WE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE) REGARDING THE SITE OR THE CONTENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OWNERSHIP, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY ABOUT THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS, TIMELINESS, SUFFICIENCY OR QUALITY OF THE SITE OR THE CONTENT, NOR THAT ANY PARTICULAR CONTENT WILL CONTINUE TO BE MADE AVAILABLE. WE DO NOT APPROVE OR ENDORSE ANY POSTED MATERIAL OR CONTENT PROVIDED BY OTHERS, INCLUDING HARVARD AUTHORS. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE WILL OPERATE WITHOUT ERROR OR INTERRUPTION, OR THAT THE SITE OR ITS SERVER ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL MATERIALS.
10. Limitations of Liability and Remedies. WE MAKE THE SITE AND THE CONTENT AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND THE CONTENT IS AT YOUR OWN SOLE RISK. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU, IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY OR OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE SITE OR THE CONTENT, OR YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR THE CONTENT, OR ANY THIRD PARTY RIGHTS IN THE CONTENT, EVEN IF THE SITE OR CONTENT IS DEFECTIVE OR WE ARE NEGLIGENT OR OTHERWISE AT FAULT, AND REGARDLESS WHETHER WE ARE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
12. Submissions to DASH. We have additional requirements and procedures that apply to authors and others who submit articles or other material to the DASH repository for posting on the Site, and any such submission must be made in accordance with those requirements and procedures.
13. Links to Other Sites. Links on the Site to third-party web sites are provided solely as a convenience to you. We do not approve or endorse the content of linked third-party sites, and you agree that we will have no responsibility or liability in connection with your use of any linked third-party sites.
15. Copyright Complaints. We respect the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe your copyright has been violated on the Site, please notify us as provided at Reporting Copyright Infringements, where you will find the contact information for our designated agent under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (see 17 U.S.C. §512(c)(3) for further information). That contact information pertains only to notifications of claimed infringement. Please direct all other communications concerning the Site to the Office for Scholarly Communication.
Last Updated February 3 2022